Laptop Manufacturing Process Book PDF

THE DYNAMICS OF DESIGN-MANUFACTURING LAPTOPS:

HOW TAIWANESE CONTRACT MANUFACTURERS MATTER IN THE

HISTORY OF LAPTOP PRODUCTION.


You can download your free PDF of the full book by clicking on the download button
below-



This dissertation aims to open up the production of “black box” information on a portable computer

contract manufacturers in Taiwan and their factories in China from 1988 to 2012

exploring their engineering methods, showing complexity and flexibility

dynamics of design-manufacturing laptops during different periods, which is not the only one

denies the idea of ​​direct progress from manufacturing to designing a Taiwanese industry,

but also challenges the idea that production does not have new strategies and values. I show

how productive and creative power are equally important and they argue over and over again

the deep connection between design and production, internally and externally, that

news. I develop the concept, knowledge of the forum, to explain this interactive collaboration

multi-site exchanges and organizational exchanges between actors from

different domains.

My research, based on extensive discussions, reveals a nontechnical process

the production of portable computers that include the international flow of people, ideas, and building materials.

In the first chapter, I show how Taiwanese manufacturers designed their first laptops in the late 1980's

based primarily on the strength of design engineers and how they learn to do their job specially

development process in collaboration with firms with brand names. In the second chapter, I

explore the complexity of the product development process, analyse what the relationship is like

between design and production combined. The third chapter discusses the issue of

margins are constantly declining for producers and creating field knowledge that has enabled them

create useful information by regularly working with internal and external partners to

reducing costs. In Chapter Four, I analyse how these producers, as mediators in

the world of production, contained and illustrated by powerful partners. In Chapter

Fifth, I am examining how the relocation of a large factory from Taiwan to China after 2001 has been affected

the habits and lives of the workers involved in the middle struggle

roots and movement. I also show how their production capacity has been developing,

and growing design expertise.

All in all, this dissertation is a problem in the production process and it shows

the flexibility of portable computer design within social and historical contexts

context, arguing that it is your ability to both design and produce, as well

effective integration between them that expands and maintains laptop integration.


Acknowledgement

This project would not have been possible without the strong support of my committee:

Trevor Pinch, Ronald Kline, Michael Lynch, and Suman Seth. A few years ago,

they spend most of their precious time talking to me about the framework,

arguments, and details of my research. My great appreciation for it goes to

see.

I am fortunate to have a historian, Ron Kline, and a sociologist, Trevor

Squeeze, like my partners. Trevor has been a great mentor since I started my Cornell

he teaches me and has always supported me with his important ideas. Ron handed it to me

Amazing help and complete suggestions for almost every phase of this project. I

they have benefited greatly from his patience, approachability, and precision. I refer to

Mike Lynch as the co-chair of my project. Many important ideas for

The dissertation appeared in extensive discussions with him. Suman Seth provided

important suggestions for my project. In particular, his intellectual challenges to me

fundamental arguments always encouraged me to think differently. Special thanks

courtesy of Fa-Ti Fan, an external student of my oral defense, who has shown a few

important things I can improve on.

Thank you for the great financial support of the following:

Cornell University Sage Fellowship and TAship, Department of Education at

Taiwan International Scholarship, National Science Foundation for

Government Medical Development Grant (ID: 1026247), East Asian Program for

Lee Teng-hui Fellowship in World Affairs at Cornell, the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation

to obtain a Dissertation Fellowship for International ROC students, as well as the China Times

Cultural Foundation's Young Scholar Fellowship - Mr Chi Chung Yu Award. I

Graduate School and Einaudi Center in Cornell and NSF also provided a tour

resources for my research and conference presentations.

This dissertation project is based on the assistance of many interviewees. I would like to

first thanks to the project consultant, and Acer Group's chief founder, Stan

Shih, by appealing to a few senior executives in Quanta and Wistron to accept mine

discussions of this study. Many thanks to Johnson Fong of Quanta

vi

presented a few important conversations to me. I owe Stan Shih,

"Yao," "Harrison," "Christopher," "Bruce," "Charlie," "Eli," "Richard," Steve Kung, Peter

Wang, and Roger Huang for accepting multiple interviews. Thanks to many strangers

interviewed by providing internal news for their company and industry. I want to

and thank the few college students in Taiwan, especially Elsa Zhung, for helping me

to record a large number of interview recordings.

I have spent several happy years in Cornell surrounded by a very loving person

a society that allowed my work and my life to flourish. In addition to my specialty

committee, Professor Peter Dear, Steve Hilgartner, Rachel Prentice, Judith Reppy,

and colleagues Darla Thompson, Emma Zuroski, Ben Wang, Hansen Hsu, Anto

Mohsin, Angie Boyce, and Ilil Naveh-Benjamin all offered warm support and

helpful suggestions for my research. Department of Science staff as well

The technology, especially Stacey Stone and Deb Van Galder were outstanding

assistance with their administrative assistance.

The project also benefited from discussions with a large audience

conference presentations, and especially thanks to Atsushi Akera and my paper

commentators, Ross Basset, James Cortada, Sungook Hong for their helpful feedback

of my research chapters.

Writing a dissertation is a long journey. Over the past few years, I have done it

got writing and editing help from a lot of people, especially Sally Yates,

Keith Hjortshoj, Mallory SoRelle, Jessica Sands, Carolina Iribarren, and Brad Zukovic.

Registration camp and Cornell re-camping camps, organized by Jan Allen once

Accompanied by many colleagues, it also helped greatly in my writing

intensity improved.

Finally, I would like to thank my family in Taiwan and the U.S. My husband

Li-Chung has supported me in all aspects of my life over the years. I'm deep

I owe him. Yuka, my son, was born in the second month of my Ph.D.

The program, literally grew through my research project. It has always been

great comfort and a loved one in my busy life! My mother-in-law, Hsueh,

was very helpful when he came to Ithaca to take care of Yuka at a young age.

Finally, thank you very much for the warm support from my mother, Ming-Yu.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post